Best Pond Algae Control Products
Algae in ponds is the most common problem faced by pond owners. There are thousands of different species of algae, but in backyard ponds, algae generally grows in 2 basic forms:
- Microscopic Free Floating Algae that turns pond water cloudy green / brown. Often referred to as ‘pea soup’ algae, it can cloud the water so much that it makes it impossible to see even a few inched into the pond.
- Filamentous Algae is often referred to as string algae, hair algae or blanketweed. It typically grows on rocks, waterfalls, plant pots, anything and everything it possibly can. It can grow in thick mats of algae or longs stringy stands.
Contrary to what most people believe, algae is not bad for ponds, it actually helps to reduce nitrates and phosphates and improve water quality. However, when it grows out of control, it can be very unsightly and also clog pumps and filters. Conditions in the spring often promote algae blooms because the plants in the pond haven’t grown enough to provide enough shade and aren’t growing fast enough to out-compete the algae for the available nutrients. This is when the addition of an algae control product is often necessary. We carry many great Pond Algae Control Products designed to kill algae safely and effectively, plus they are all safe for fish.
Best Pond Algae Control Products:
- Pond Balance – this product has been around for years, because it works. Pond Balance gets rid of string algae in 3 treatments (sometimes 2). Initially, treat once every 10 day for 3 treatments. After the 3rd treatment, the string algae literally falls off of whatever it is growing on. Re-apply once a month to keep the algae from coming back. Water Garden Balance – also works the same as Pond Balance and has the same active ingredient.
- D-Solv Oxy Pond Cleaner – works best as a spot treatment for string algae. D-Solv will remove algae from waterfalls, streams and rocks in minutes. For waterfalls and streams, simply turn off your pump, sprinkle D-Solv on any algae and it instantly begins to work. Wait a few minutes and turn your pump back on. That’s it. Available in 2 lb, 10 lb and 25 lb sizes.
- Clarity Max The Complete Pond Cleaner – a powerful combination of activated barley, beneficial bacteria, enzymes plus a secret ingredient in one product. Designed to remove algae and maintain pond water quality. Available in 1 lb, 2.5 lb and 6 lb sizes.
- D-Solv9 / Aquascape Pond & Debris Clarifier – contain a specifically designed 2x concentrated formula to clear green pond water quickly. Result can be seen is as little as 1 treatment. It also works on string algae as well. A 16 oz. bottle treats 9600 gallons. Available in bottles up 2.5 gallons that treat 192,000 gallons for large ponds.
- Barley Straw Pellets or Barley Extract – a natural way to help reduce algae. Not as fast acting or as likely to completely kill algae as the above products, but it definitely works to reduce algae growth in the pond to a manageable level.